Monday, November 9, 2015

idioms - Call it a day meaning


What is the meaning of "Call it a day/night".
I have heard people saying "I am calling it a day". I tried to find out the meaning in dictionaries, but could not. Please let me know your answers.



Answer



The meaning of the phrase is to quit work and go home; to say that a day's work has been completed. I'm tired. Let's call it a day. The boss was mad because Tom called it a day at noon.


Another example:

"It's past five o'clock so let's call it a day."


The origin of this phrase is explained as below:


The original phrase was "call it half a day", first recorded in 1838, which referred to leaving one's place of employment before the work day was over. The first recorded use of call it a day was in 1919, and of call it a night in 1938.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...