Sunday, November 15, 2015

commas - Are words such as "today" and "yesterday" introductory words or adverbial phrases?


When I first started learning about punctuation, I found out that you should always have commas after words such as "today," "sometimes," "yesterday," and so on. Today, I found a website that disagrees, it says:




If you have an introductory word (or two) that is being used as an adverb (usually answers the question of when, where, why, or to what degree), then no comma. If it’s being used as a conjunction, then go ahead and use a comma.


For example:
“Someday, I’d like to go on a cruise.” — This is incorrect. Someday is functioning as an adverbial phrase, answering the question of WHEN I would like to go on a cruise. Correct would be this:
“Someday I’d like to go on a cruise.”



I want to know how legitimate this website actually is. Can someone verify this for me?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...