Sunday, November 29, 2015

Adjective followed by multiple nouns - what is modifed


I ran into a grammatical construction which I don't know how to interpret. What confuses me even more is that, after extensive googling, I found none other confused by it, except one person who's question got downvoted (https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/259980/how-to-interpret-and-adjective-followed-by-two-nouns).


Even worst, I have an adjective and three nouns, let say main plugin file line. So if one has adjective+noun1+noun2+noun3 without clear meaning - which noun is modified with this adjective? Is it main line? Main plugin? Main file? Is there any such grammatical rule at all or is it just poor wording not covered by such?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...