Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Active vs passive voice with inanimate object as the subject


This question was inspired by this question asked previously.



I have seen some sentences like the following -





  1. The film was announced to be released on this coming Friday.




  2. The film was announced to release on this coming Friday.






Both the sentences are used, and I know they are interchangeable and do bear the same meaning. But I have some doubt about the second sentence - Why is "to release" used when the film can't release itself?


Some other similar sentence that arises my confusion:



The products sell well.



This is pretty understandable, and means "The product is being sold well.". The product can't sell itself on its own. They need someone to sell the product.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...