Thursday, October 15, 2015

What is the meaning of "tell" in this sentence?


I read this (below) in a chapter (The Portrait of a Lady):



When I decided to go abroad for further studies, I was sure my grandmother would be upset. I would be away for five years, and at her age one could never tell. But my grandmother could.



What exactly does tell imply here? Has it been used with reference to death?



Answer



"Tell" here means "know or be certain". The writer is saying that, considering his grandmother's age, he could not be certain that he would see her when he returned after five years, because she might die during that time. The final words "but my grandmother could" imply that his grandmother had no such uncertainty, and in the following paragraph the writer says: "After five years I came back home and was met by her at the station". The writer is, perhaps, subtly conveying the arrogance of youth, because the young man ignores the fact that he himself could not be sure of being alive in five years' time.


Tell (Cambridge Dictionary)



The Portrait of a Lady by Kushwant Singh


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...