Friday, October 23, 2015

actionscript 3 - Level editor event system, how to translate event to game action



I've been busy trying to create a level editor for a tile based game i'm working on. It's all going pretty fine, the only thing i'm having trouble with is creating a simple event system.


Let's say the player steps on a particulair tile that had the action "teleport" assigned to it in the editor. The teleport string is saved in the tile object as a variable. When creating the tilegrid an actionmanager class scans the action variable and assigns actions to the variable.


    public static class ActionManager
{

public static function ParseTileAction(tile:Tile) {

switch(tile.action) {

case "TELEPORT":


//assign action here

break;
}

}


}


Now this is an collision event, so I guess I should also provide an object to colide with the tile. But what if it would have to count for collision with all objects in the world? Also, checking for collisions in the actionmanager class doesn't seem very efficient.


Am I even on the right track here? I'm new to game design so I could be completly off track. Any tips on how handeling and creating events using an editor is usually done would be great. The main problem i'm having is and efficient way to read out and react to the given actions in the editor.


Thanks in advance.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...