Friday, October 16, 2015

prepositions - by doing it VS. in doing so


Although I almost know what in doing so means, actually, I am wondering whether or not by doing this/that et cetera, could mean the same meaning as the former.


Thanks in advance




Answer



Using the word "in" means that the action takes place at the same time as something. However "by" is used to denote the manner or reason something was done.


So "in doing so" actually means "while doing so", but "by doing so" means "because I did so".


So consider:



I ran out the door, in doing so I slipped on the ice outside.



This means that while I was in the process of running out the door, I slipped.



I ran out the door, by doing so I slipped on the ice outside.




This means that I slipped as a direct result of running out the door - which isn't entirely true. If I had noticed the ice, worn different shoes, or stepped carefully I could have avoided slipping while still "running out the door". The direct cause of my slipping was negligence, not the action described in the sentence.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...