Tuesday, October 20, 2015

phrasal verbs - meaning of "vague that up"



I couldn't get the meaning of: vague up. What does it mean?



Giles: The influx of the undead, the... supernatural occurrences, it's been building for years. There's a reason why you're here and a reason why it's now!


Buffy: Because now is the time my mom moved here.


Giles: Something's coming, something, something, something is - is gonna happen here. Soon!


Buffy: Gee, can you vague that up for me?



Source: Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Season 1



Answer



To [verb] something up is to apply the qualities of the verb to the object of the action. Vague that up is not a common phrase (actually, I've never heard it used before) but the meaning here is rather clear if you take into account the context. Giles made an extremely vague statement, and Buffy is pointing out this fact by sarcastically requesting that he make the statement even more vague.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...