Sunday, October 25, 2015

idioms - Does this sentence need "if" or "when"?



I came across this sentence:



"There isn't an entomologist in the whole world who wouldn't give all he has to be in my shoes today."



This was said when a person caught a rare insect.


If "if" or "when" is placed before "he has to be in my shoes today", I think it makes sense but this sentence doesn't have them. Is my understanding wrong?



Answer



I think your confusion might just come from not understanding the idioms in the sentence, so I'll start by paraphrasing it.



There isn't an entomologist in the whole world who wouldn't give all he has to be in my shoes today




Since there is a double negative, we'll go ahead and reverse it. Hopefully this makes the sentence less confusing already.



Any entomologist would give all he has to be in my shoes today.



2 of the phrases left are give all he has and to be in my shoes.


You seem to be trying to split it into would give all and [if/when] he has to be in my shoes, and you are reading "has to" as "must". This is incorrect in context.


To give all he has is to sacrifice anything he owns. To be in my shoes means to be experiencing what the author is experiencing (catching the rare insect)


So the whole sentence simplified is:




Any entomologist would love to be in my situation



It should be clear there is no room for if or when in that sentence.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...