Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Why is 'where' an adverb and not a pronoun?



A: Where are you going?
B: I am going to school.



Where took the place of school and something that takes the place of a noun is a pronoun. So, why isn't where a pronoun?



Answer



Where does not take the place of school, which is, as you say, a noun.



It takes the place of to school, which is a prepositional phrase acting in this sentence as an adverb of directive location a subject complementing to the verb go.



I am going [to school] → I am going [where] → [Where] are you going?



You may, if you like, consider where as an interrogative pro-adverbPP.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...