Thursday, June 18, 2015

prepositions - I left them (at) home


Consider this question:



Where are they (things or people)?



Would the following answer be with (at), without it or either one?




I left them (at) home



I have done a quick Google search and found quotes for both cases, with and without:



This Widow's 4 Kids Were Taken After She Left Them Home Alone.


Leaving Your Child Home Alone - KidsHealth


Gerry said, "I left them at home." Gerry sat down and turned on the TV set just as Mark would have done.



I read about "home" being an adverb but also know "stay at home moms" for example. So you see I need definite answers.



Answer




If the choice is between


I left them at home


and


I left them home


I would always choose at home.


at home, along with such other phrases as at work and at school, are fixed and extremely common. So common that I would not depart from them. I would also never say I left them work or ...school.


Yes, home can be an adverb, but I would use this mainly to answer the question


Where are you going?


(I'm going) home.


As far as home alone, this expression is fine, in either



He left the kids at home alone.


He left the kids home alone.


But my feeling is that the use of the latter phrase remains popular in some respects because of the popular movie of the same name: Home Alone, and its sequels.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...