Sunday, June 14, 2015

articles - see below for the detail or details



When writing an article, I often have to mention something but the detail about the something is actually described a little bit later. In that case, which of the following is most appropriate? Or how should I decide which one to use?



(see below for the detail)


(see below for details)


(see below for the details)




Answer



Details is usually pluralized in such contexts. If there is only one detail, I would probably word it as, "See below for further information."


The article is optional. There's nothing wrong with it, but it is usually omitted for the sake of brevity. You can have a look at this Ngram to see which is the more idiomatic wording.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...