Friday, June 12, 2015

meaning - Verbs ending in -th


Sometimes especially when I am reading books or quotes, I encounter verbs ending in -th. Is that an arcaic form? How should I properly translate them?



Answer



Verbs ending in -eth are an archaic way of forming the 3rd person singular present, so for example:



sayeth => says
goeth => goes




Beyond that, I can't think of any verbs ending in -th that don't end in -eth. As J.R. points out in the comments, doth doesn't end in -eth. It is, however, still in the 3rd person singular present (i.e. equivalent to does), and I would hypothesize it comes from assimilation of doeth. In any case, it's probably safe to assume that all verbs ending in -th are in the 3rd person singular present.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...