Saturday, June 13, 2015

articles - "There is a fog." Is the noun used correctly?


My kid saw the scene and told me,



There is a fog.



enter image description here


Do we use "a" before fog?



Answer




In this context, no, there shouldn't be an article. That said,



There is fog



However, 'a fog' is possible but in different context.



This problem has me in a fog.



Or, if you want to say some type of fog or emphasize the intensity.




A blanket of fog covered the fields.



If you are still confused, open up any authentic dictionary (OALD, for example) and check whether the noun is countable or uncountable. Further, check that in which sense it is countable studying some examples.




Edited:


As in the comment by Livrecache, I came across examples from books and other reliable sources that wrote 'a fog' as well. So, it's not completely wrong!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...