Saturday, June 27, 2015

What preposition is correct 'sleep on the bed' or 'sleep in the bed'


Are both expressions correct? If yes, do they have different meanings? It seems to me that I came across both of them in books, but I'm not sure.



Answer



They are both correct, but convey slightly different ideas.



I will sleep on a bed.



Implies that I will sleep on the piece of furniture I refer to as a bed. As opposed to sleeping on the couch or sleeping on the floor.




I will sleep in a bed



Specifically conveys the idea that I will be inside the bedclothes, typically underneath a blanket or duvet.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...