Monday, June 1, 2015

pronunciation - Is Irene Adler in the Sherlock Holmes series pronounced eye-REEN or eye-REE-nee?


For some years I thought that, over in England, any woman with that name was always eye-REE-nee (like the second principle character of the Forsyte Saga by John Galsworthy), and never eye-REEN.


Now I'm watching this super-popular Sherlock series (my friends made me; it ain't my fault; I don't watch TV) ... you know the one I mean, with what's his name, and I'm beginning to have doubts.



I looked it up. Turns out, both versions are in use in Britain. Check this out: How to pronounce Irene Adler


Is Miss Adler eye-REEN or eye-REE-nee? Do please enlighten me.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...