Saturday, August 31, 2019

punctuation - Is it wrong to put exclamation mark (!) after 'Thanks'?


Is the following approach wrong?



Thanks! for the LIC receipt. I am good. How are you?



Is it ok to put an exclamation mark after 'Thanks'?




Answer



A comma can take place of an interjection when expressing a weaker emotion and exclamation when expressing a stronger emotion. But, as far as I know, neither of them is correct in your case as the sentence is not independent.


Example:



Thanks! I am fine.


Thanks, but I am fine.


Thanks. I am fine.


No, it's not yours. (weaker emotion.)


No! it's not yours. (Stronger emotion.)


Thanks, John. (A comma is used here because I am addressing someone directly, but I am offsetting a name here, not the interjection.)



Well, the rain has played its part in the outcome of this match.



The following examples are wrong:



Thanks! for the offer.


Thanks, for the offer.



Why? Read the next section. :)




Now coming back to your question




Thanks! for the LIC receipt. I am good. How are you?



Here, For the LIC receipt is not a complete sentence and, hence, cannot stand on its own.


A better approach as provided by @mamtaD is:



Thanks! I got the LIC receipt. I am good. How are you?



She is right in her own sense, but this changes the meaning of the sentence. It is interesting to note that "thanks" is not used as an interjection, but as a verb(in OP's case).


A much better approach is to either put an exclamation mark at the end of the sentence or to avoid punctuating around the verb thanks.






  • Thanks for the LIC receipt! I am good. How are you?(expressing strong emotion)




  • Thanks for the LIC receipt. I am good. How are you?






No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...