Friday, August 23, 2019

word usage - Is it good to call someone "Nerd"?


My friends always use "nerd" to describe an intelligent person, but when I searched its meaning online, I found that it's not really a good word.



"A foolish or contemptible person who lacks social skills or is boringly studious."
Oxford Dictionaries


I've become so confused with this word.
Is it an insult or a compliment?



Answer



If they are referring to an "intelligent" person like you say then they most probably mean:



a person who is extremely interested in one subject, especially computers, and knows a lot of facts about it — Cambridge Dictionary



Example,




I'm a real grammar nerd.



So, no it is not in the bad or negative sense but you still have to be careful with this word some people might find a bit offensive to be called a "nerd" especially when this word has a first definition that is kind of negative.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...