Sunday, August 11, 2019

word choice - is "y1 < x < y2" an inequality or inequalities?


I know that x > y1 is an inequality but I am in doubt over whether y1 < x < y2 is an inequality or inequalities. Which is right? I think that it may be a math question, but I will be thankful if anyone answers it.



Answer



As it says in this College Algebra book...



An inequality of the form

a < x < b
is sometimes referred to as a simultaneous inequality.



We're obviously dealing with domain-specific terminology, but I personally (not a mathematician) wouldn't call a = b = c "equalities" - since it's a single expression, I'd say it's an "equality". But we're not exactly talking standard English here, whether it's singular or plural (most people would probably just say it's an "equation" and leave it at that).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...