Friday, July 12, 2019

What is the meaning of "...you don't know you have in ways you can't understand"?



I saw this sentence today on a hoodie:



I work at


UBS


I solve problems


you don't know you have
in ways you can't understand



What exactly is the meaning of the third and fourth segment? Speaking as a non-native English speaker, it makes zero sense to me.



Answer




To force that to make sense I would rewrite it as:



I solve problems that you don't know that you have, in ways that you can't understand.



The line breaks in the text given on the hoodie lead to misunderstanding and lack of parsability. It sounds like two entirely separate sentences "We solve problems", which is fine by itself, and then "You don't know you have in ways you can't understand" which is not grammatical English.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...