Wednesday, July 31, 2019

phrase meaning - What do "have", "get" and "got" mean?


In my language have has exactly two different meanings. First is possess. In the following sentences I can replace have with posses,


I have a pen = I possess a pen
I have a car = I possess a car
I have this book = I possess this book


the second meaning is forced to do or must do. In simple language have means, that I have no other choice, I must do this. In the following sentences I can replace have with forced.


I have to go now = I am forced to go now I have to kill him = I am forced to kill him


I guess that in English have is not equivalent to forced to. Actually it seems that have in the above written two sentences means that I posses that job.



I have to go = I possess a job, and the job is to go
I have to kill him = I possess a job, and the job is to kill him


I also do not understand why sometimes in English got is used with have, e.g.


I have got to go now.
I have got this car.


What does got mean in: "I got to go" or "I get to go". Is get=got=have? As I understand get means possess.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...