Saturday, July 20, 2019

modal verbs - Meaning of "you'd of thought"


I am reading The great Gatsby and there is one part that says:



I had a woman up here last week to look at my feet, and when she gave me the bill you'd of thought she had my appendicitis out.



I would like to know what does you'd of thought mean and also if the of is omitted the sentence would have the same meaning?



Answer



The pronunciation of the preposition of and the auxiliary verb have are identical in casual speech. We say them as: /əv/.



Basically, "you'd of thought" is a way to try and represent the sound of "you would have thought" in normal speech.


Hope this is helpful!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...