Sunday, July 7, 2019

indefinite article - a joyous and restful three days -- a three days?


Example:



After a joyous and restful three days, I left this beautiful city.



Although it still kind of sounds weird to my ears, I know that when a noun, even though in the plural, is used to mean a certain amount or quantity of something, grammatically there should be an indefinite article placed in front of it. But, can you think of a rule that I could utilize to tell whether I actually need one? Because I don't see anything wrong with saying after joyous and restful three days, I left this beautiful city. With that change, does the sentence now sound wrong to you?



Answer




I don't see anything wrong with saying:




after joyous and restful three days, I left this beautiful city.



Does that sentence now sound wrong to you?



Yes, it does. Move the word 'three' to solve the problem:




after three joyous and restful days, I left this beautiful city.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...