Monday, July 8, 2019

sentence construction - "Did have" versus "had"


In the following sentence, why have author used "did have" instead of "had" ? Is it grammatically correct at all ?



I don't want to diminish her achievements, but she did have a lot of help.




Answer



Yes, it is correct. Did is used emphatically. Considering your case, the use of did have makes the sentence similar to




I don't want to diminish her achievements, but she had a lot of help indeed.



The following sentences are fine:



I warned Clara that it would be dangerous.


I did warn Clara that it would be dangerous.



The second one suggests that the speaker was right about warning Clara as something has probably happened to her.


Notice that you can use the same structure with the present simple (do/does + base form) :




She does know how to make people happy.


She really knows how to make people happy.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...