Friday, September 7, 2018

word usage - Is "whom" old fashioned?


I'm 16 and I am wondering if using "whom" in a conversation (with other people of my age, or even with an adult) or in a text isn't old fashioned for somebody of my age. I am asking myself this question because I read that "whom" is considered by many as something that won't be used anymore.



Answer



mea culpa!


I'm not sure about old fashioned but it's certainly not archaic. Google Ngram shows that the word has been used (in fact the usage has been increased in past few years) in books.


The pronoun whom has its specific purpose which is unlikely to be replaced by the other word. If you think that it has become old fashioned and who has replaced whom everywhere, be careful. Where whom goes, who may not.


All in all, 'whom' is used where it should be and it's not yet vanished! In fact, the word is used in the latest BBC news.


Whomsoever this letter is concerned to... -- Whosoever this letter... is not used.


I hope you know where to use what.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...