Wednesday, September 26, 2018

What are some good learning resources for OpenGL?




I have been using the OpenGL ES on the iPhone for a while now and basically I feel pretty lost outside to the small set of commands I've seen in examples and adopted as my own. I would love to use OpenGL on other platforms and have a good understanding of it.


Every time I search for a book I find this HUGE bibles that seem uninteresting and very hard for a beginner. If I had a couple of weekends to spend on learning OpenGL what would be the best way to spend my time (and money)?




Answer



Be careful when you look at OpenGL tutorials, because many of them (NeHe) included just teach you things that you shouldn't do anymore. Todays OpenGL is a different beast that it was 10 years ago.


Some nice examples avoiding the deprecated stuff can be found here: http://www.g-truc.net/post-tech-content-sample.html



The OpenGL Samples Pack 4.0.1.0 is an update that brings the number of samples to a total of 58 samples; including 13 OpenGL 4 samples, 33 OpenGL 3.3 samples and 12 OpenGL 2 samples for Visual Studio 2008 and 2010 in 32 and 64 bits.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...