Wednesday, September 5, 2018

verbs - I have served in the army?


I saw a sentence in an email and thought it was a bit awkward. Please see below



"I have served in the army for over 20 years until I retired."



The person is no longer in the army but wrote me such a sentence. If the person is no longer in the army, can the person use "have served"? Shouldn't it be "I served in the army for over 20 years until I retired"? Or is this person simply stating that he has the experience of serving in the army some time in the past?



Answer




This should be, as you say,:



"I served in the army for over 20 years until I retired."



Most native speakers don't know how to use the present perfect, and most non-native Anglophones make many errors in tense and aspect in English. Tense in English is sometimes quite difficult.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...