Saturday, September 15, 2018

zero article - Adjective or possessive?


Consider the following sentence:



Who is the president of France?


I want to build a shorter sentence and I don't know if I should use a noun adjective or possessive mark:


Who is the France's president?


or


Who is the France president?


Replacing of by 's seems more logic, but the second sentence looks ok to me.


Thus, my questions are:



  • Which of these sentences are grammaticaly correct?

  • If both are correct, should I prefer one sentence?




Answer



When you talk about possessiveness, the article is not put.



The house of Tom -okay



But...



The Tom's house - not okay.




So...



Who is the president of France? -okay
Who is France's president? -okay.



But...



Who is the France's president? -not okay.



As far are preferring one is concerned, "The president of...." is more common I think.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...