Tuesday, April 3, 2018

word usage - Feeling amazing or amazed?


Is there anything wrong with saying "I was feeling amazing at the party with all my friends around"? Is it grammatically incorrect? Should this be said some other way?



Answer



It's important to note that many people use "amazing" as slang to mean "very good," "awesome," "excellent" etc. But other forms of the verb "amaze" are taken literally.


So your two sentences are both grammatical, but have different meanings because of the colloquial meaning of "amazing"



I was feeling amazing at the party ...



means that you were feeling exceptionally good while at the party. The party likely put you in high spirits.






I was feeling amazed at the party...



means that you literally were amazed while at the party. Perhaps the party was a lot better than you expected, and you were impressed by the quality. Or maybe you were amazed by a illusionist/magic show.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...