Tuesday, April 24, 2018

idioms - Can "It is a shame that ~." and "It is a pity that ~." be used to describe the feeling when in a soccer game our ball misses the target by an inch?


I wonder whether I can use the expressions, "It is a shame that ~." and "It is a pity that ~." when during a soccer match our ball misses the target by a tiny distance.


For example, can I say "It is a shame that our ball missed the target by a tiny distance! We almost scored!" or "It is a pity that our ball missed the target by a tiny distance! We almost scored!"?



Thank you.



Answer



Both of these expressions are fine but a little bit dispassionate, as if you don't feel a lot of emotion about the game. I can't help but imagine a couple of very well-mannered British aristocrats watching the game:



"Oh that's a shame. What a pity he missed that shot."


"Indeed."


(both sip their tea)



As StoneyB mentions, most people would use much stronger language. Some nicer examples of this:




Oh my god! He missed the shot!


Can you believe he missed that shot!


How the hell did he miss that shot?


How in the world could he have missed that shot?



And many, many others.


[Edit] As J.R. mentions in his comment, some people (of a calm and civil demeanor) might use different language to respond to the case where the ball just misses the goal. For example:



Oh! So close!


Almost got it!



Damn! Missed by a hair!



And so on. Now me, I'd still probably issue a string of expletives and say unkind things about the kicker's family. It really depends on personality.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...