Saturday, April 21, 2018

infinitives - meaning of "make-up" (besides to compensate)


More accurately I'm asking about made up. Can it be used in the same way as ended up?



She made up looking wonderful after going to the hairdresser




Now I know it's kinda weird. There are simpler ways to say that phrase. I'm asking this because in the subject of gerunds and infinitives I'm asked to correct the mistake in the following sentence:



The hairdresser made me to look wonderful



Now the easiest way to fix it is "made me look wonderful" and case closed. But is "look" by itself an infinitive? I got confused by this and started looking up ways to fix it with "looking/to look". Can it even be done this way?



Answer



No, they don't mean the same thing.


"Ended up" means "finished the (literal or figurative) journey", and is normally followed by some indication of where or how you finished.



We got lost, drove in circles for miles, and finally ended up in Cleveland.



I was angry at Sally, but I ended up forgiving her.



"Made up" has a number of meanings.


(a) Fictional (adjective) "His story isn't true: it's all made up."


(b) Invented a fictino (verb) "He made up that story."


(c) Reconciled, as in, after a conflict. "Alice and Bob had a big fight, but then they made up and were friends again."


(d) Made prettier by applying cosmetics, etc. (verb) "Sally made up her face using eye shadow and lipstick. She also made up her hair with braids and hair clips."


(e) Regained lost ground, compensated. "Our company lost money in the first quarter, but we made it up in the second quarter, so now we are back on track."


Whew, this idiom has a lot of meanings! Maybe there are more that I'm not thinking of.


I wonder if the sentence you quote has been garbled somewhere along the line, as women certainly do go to a hairdresser to be "made up". Perhaps, "She was all made up and looking wonderful after going to the hairdresser."



No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...