Sunday, April 29, 2018

prepositions - The Ball From A Pass



The context is soccer (association football) and the sentence in question is:



The forward received the ball from the midfielder's pass.



I have already ask about this here and received alot of good answers, and I tried to leave it at that. But then the World Cup 2014 is upon us, and I am starting to have doubts about this football usage of "from", to the point that I have semi-nightmares about it.


The use of "from" in the football example continues to bother me. I seem to disagree (subconsciously) about how a ball (physical object) could be "from" a pass (action) unless that action creates that object.



Some people were hit by debris from the explosion.



The use of "from" in "debris from the explosion" makes excellent sense to me, because the explosion does create the debris. But in soccer/football, the ball cannot possibly be "created" by a pass.



Is there any non-football usage of "from" similar to my football example sentence?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...