Monday, April 2, 2018

books - What technologies are required for 3D game development?



I want to make a racing game like Need for speed. And I want to start from very start. Please tell me the skills, technologies that one should posses while making it.


I am beginner in game development, Although I have good programming skills. I am ready to learn. Please also recommend few good books.


Thanks in advance.


Updated: I am interested in making PC games and I have no intention in making my career in gaming. Also no 2D games, just full-fledged 3D games. Here I don't think like creating a games like pacman or mario are gonna help me. if they, then please pardon me.


Updated: Why should I learn 2D game development? I want to develop a 3D game.



Answer




The recent Need for Speed series were developed by teams of several dozen professionals working full time for several years with the accumulated experience of their previous projects. I believe the major skill to possess when trying to develop a game is project management: when you know and accept that you are talking about a 20 to 200 man-year project, you'll be ready to start.


For 3D graphics programming I would recommend Real-Time Rendering, The OpenGL Programming Guide and The OpenGL Shading Language. I think the first one is a must have, even for graphic artists who need to understand the modern GPU pipeline.


Knowledge of C++ is probably necessary if you want both performance and portability. But if you really want to write everything from scratch, Python and OpenGL could be a reasonable solution at least for prototyping. And if you are using a game engine such as Unity or UDK, you may not even need to program at all.


You will need to know about 3D modelling, maybe rigging and animation for your cars, characters and other game assets. You will need to know about maths and physics for your driving simulation to be accurate, for your lighting to be realistic.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...