Monday, April 30, 2018

meaning in context - "Watch the step" without stairs



When travelling on trains in the USA, I have noticed a sign saying "watch the step" close to the exit. I thought it was referring to stairs, but nowhere close to the exit I have seen stairs. I also thought it would be referring to stairs I could find right outside the train, but outside the train I always walked on a pavement.


What does step in "watch the step" mean, in that sign?



Answer



It means to be careful of the step between the platform and the train itself. It’s like the ubiquitous “mind the gap” of the London tube.


The platform and the train are seldom on exactly the same level, so you almost always have to step up or step down; think of it as a one-step staircase, perhaps. But even if they are exactly level, there’s likely to be a plunging hole between them, which suffices to make it prudent to tell people to watch their step. “Watch your step” doesn’t refer to a literal step, but rather tells you to watch where you are stepping.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...