Friday, March 9, 2018

phrase usage - Is the expression '1/4 of something' or '3/4 of something' idiomatic/natural sounding?


Say, I have a packet of milk and there is not much left in it. If I pour it in a cup, it might less than 1/4 filled.


Can I describe it like this



There is less than one fourth of a cup of milk in the packet.



Or in another context




The amount of juice in the box will be slightly more than three fourth of a cup.



Also, should I use a or the with cup? one fourth of a cup or one fourth of the cup?



Answer



Both of your statements are fine. (just change three fourth to three fourths)


You should use "a cup". cup in this context is a general reference to a measurement. It is the same for everyone.



He drove on for half a mile.




You could use the if you were referring to a specific cup, though.



There was enough juice to fill three fourths of the cup.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...