Tuesday, March 20, 2018

grammar - Is this sentence in an online dictionary correct, "They ain't got nothing to say"?


When I typed ain't meaning in the search bar at Google, a result from the New Oxford American Dictionary appeared with the following example:



They ain't got nothing to say.



I have my doubts as to whether the use of the word nothing is correct or not.


Af far as my knowledge concerns, the sentence should be something like this: They ain't got anything / something to say.


Am I right? The word nothing is negative, and the word ain't is negative, too. We should not use two negatives, at least in this example, can we?


When they say: They ain't got nothing to say, it sounds like they have something to say!!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...