Tuesday, March 27, 2018

word request - When you don't understand a joke right away



In my native language we have lots of ways (some of them very funny) of saying that you, or someone else didn't understand a joke right away. That is, he/she needed some time to figure it out.


I wonder if there's any idiomatic way of expressing that in English.



Answer



The word get is particularly used these days in the context of understanding jokes - and even more particularly in the negative, for not understanding. With no other context...



"I don't get it", "He doesn't get it!", "Don't you get it?", etc.



...are very likely to be assumed to be in reference to a joke that wasn't understood.


enter image description here


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...