Monday, March 12, 2018

phrase usage - What are other ways to describe second-last?


Actually, I'm not even sure if the "second-last" is the correct term. Here is how I would use it:



Go down the hallway, it's the second-last door on your right.



which I want to describe the door that is immediately next to the last door.



What are other ways to describe it?
Can I say, e.g., next-last?


Also, how about the one that next to second-last? Can I say third-last?


EDIT: broadening the usage, can I say "this is the next-best choice"? Are there any other ways to express it?


Thanks



Answer



I agree with @MaulikV's answer that "second-to-last" is a natural way to describe it; "next-to-last" would also be perfectly normal and possibly even more common.


Other ways to describe it would be to say "last-but-one" or something like "6th out of 7."


To answer your "broadened usage" question, yes, you can go from best to next-best or second-best; in these cases, the preposition to is not required (indeed, it must be omitted).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...