Saturday, March 10, 2018

phrase usage - Difference between "speed up something" and "speed something up"


Both seem to be in common usage, but is there a nuanced difference about when one is more appropriate than the other? Thanks.



Answer



They're both forms of the same thing, a verb-particle idiom sometimes called a "phrasal verb":


  I sped the video up.  

I sped up the video.

But if the direct object is an unstressed personal pronoun, up has to come at the end:


  I sped it up.  
*I sped up it. (ungrammatical)

And if the direct object is very long, put up first:


 ?I sped the new program for rendering alpha and beta particles up.  (awkward) 
I sped up the new program for rendering alpha and beta particles.

Otherwise it's difficult to understand.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...