Monday, May 15, 2017

grammar - Different usage of "simple past tense" and "present perfect"


I have a question regarding the usage of "simple past tense" vs "present perfect tense". Sometimes I see they are both possible to talk about a finished action. I know we cannot use "present perfect tense" to talk about a finished action, that have mentioned time frame. But my question is different. Suppose, something happened yesterday but I do not want to mention the time rather I want to describe what happened. In this kind of situation which tense is appropriate?


Here's the context:





  • bought/have bought a mobile. It has a stunning look and takes nice pictures. I am very happy with it.



Please note, that I bought the phone yesterday. I know if I used yesterday in that sentence I had to use "simple past tense". But as I have not mentioned any time frame, Can I use both the tenses? 


Please also note that I just suddenly start a conversation with "I bought a mobile", with no preamble.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...