Sunday, May 21, 2017

british english - How to answer "Do you need a 5p bag"


I have troubles with this simple question: Cashiers do not understand my accent, so I want to find some answer that is easier to articulate.


When I answer " I already have one " - they never understand.



Is there any other option to say (apart of "No, thanks) that I have a bag (I brought it with me) that utilizes "better" vowels for non-native speaker?


British English UPD To those answering later: I want to improve my English pronunciation. The example in question is just one of the examples, not the whole issue, thus pantomimic clowneries could not be taken into account: NO, THANKS!



Answer



Cashiers want customers to get through the line quickly. They don't need justification. It is a simple YES/NO question. So "No" or "No thank you" to be more polite.




David Richerby made an excellent point in his answer below that you need to consider head nods too. In English speaking countries a head nod up and down means yes, while shaking side to side means no.


in a comment on David's answer nigel222 made another great point. It is "No, thanks" but "Yes please". That gives the person you're speaking to two chances to hear you: "something please" implies Yes, "Something thanks" implies No. Useful in a busy / noisy environment, as well as polite.


I guess the other point here is that you need to be sure that you're speaking loudly enough. Checkout lines are noisy.


So saying "No thanks" with a couple of side to side head shakes should get you through the line without a "Huh??" from the cashier.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...