Wednesday, May 10, 2017

phrase meaning - How to dissect/parse 'no sooner X than Y'?


I ask not about the meaning, but about its derivation:



no sooner F than S {phrases} = [Please check my additions of F and S
1. Used to convey that the second event S mentioned happens immediately after the first F:



Please explain how soon (on the same ODO page) effects/implies/induces the above meaning?




soon {adverb} = 2. Used to indicate one’s preference in a particular matter:



My guess: 3. 'I sooner breakfasted than lunched' => 4. I breakfasted before lunching.
Does 4 already mean 1? So why must 'no' precede 'sooner'? What would happen if I omitted no?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...