Friday, May 26, 2017

sentence meaning - What does "I am off to the doctor" mean?


In this video a well-known man says



I am off to the doctor.




I think it means I am going to visit my doctor. However another rendering occurred to me; can it mean I am not at work due to the order of my doctor?



Answer



Using the first definition here:



Away from the place in question


the man ran off


she dashed off to her room


we must be off now



So you could say:




I am leaving [here] for the doctor['s office].



I'm off emphasizes a bit more that the speaker is leaving wherever they currently are while going is more generally stating that you're heading in that direction.





can it mean I am not at work due to the order of my doctor?



No. It would never mean this.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...