Tuesday, February 7, 2017

sentence choice - I want you to speak English / that you'll speak English / that you speak English


My friend just started to learn English and I want to listen to him speaking English. My question is what is the best / correct way to tell him it out of the following three choices (or more others that I didn't mention):


1) I want you to speak English (optional: already).


2) I want that you will speak English (already).


3) I want that you speak English (already).



Answer



"I want you to speak English" is the correct version.


See the Cambridge Dictionary entry for want:




> Warning: We don’t use want with a that-clause:
I want you to tidy your room before the visitors come.
Not: I want that you tidy your room ...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...