Sunday, February 12, 2017

grammar - Various types of citing preference in AmE



In the following sentences, the italic ones do not sound idiomatic to me. Please have a look on them and let me know if I was not right:



1a - I don’t like basketball. I prefer playing football.


2a - I don’t like basketball. I prefer to play football.


3a - I don’t like basketball, I’d prefer playing football. ==> Here we are talking a bout something in general, while the implication of this sentence is a specific occasion.


4a - I don’t like basketball, I’d prefer to play football. ==> (The same reason goes here)


5a - I don’t like basketball, I’d rather play football. ==> (The same reason goes here)







1b - I like football, but I prefer playing basketball today. ===> (Contrary to '1a', here we are talking about particular preference and whereas 'prefer' is used for general topics, then this sentence has a syntactic problem and sounds incorrect to me.)


2b - I like football, but I prefer to play basketball today. ===> (The same reason goes here)


3b - I like football, but I’d prefer playing basketball today.


4b - I like football, but I’d prefer to play basketball today.


5b - I like football, but I’d rather play basketball today.



PS. I would be grateful if the honorable AmE members could tell me if these are common in AE speech / written language. If yes, then which ones are the commonest ways?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...