Monday, November 2, 2015

possessives - Can apostrophe 's' be used with 'etc.'?


Consider a group of 10 friends (Jack, Mike, Harry, Peter, Ian, Ted, Stoney, Julie, Maria, and Samantha) named 'Spartans' in some residence colony. They have collected money and bought a brand new car.


Is this structure possible?



Wow, what a sexy car that is
Yeah! That's Spartans'
Spartans'?
Ah, I mean Jack, Mike, Harry, Peter etc's.
Oh! Are they Spartans? I did not know.




Or it should be ...



Ah, I mean Jack's, Mike's, Harry's, Peter's and etc. or
Ah, I mean Jack, Mike, Harry, Peter's and etc.



I referred to lots of examples and found that etc. is generally applied to the nouns, verbs and almost anything but found no instance where it's used for the noun's possession.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...