Monday, November 2, 2015

Cleft sentences with "it"


I've got a bit technical example. But hopefully, you don't need to know the topic. I was discussing design of, say, an application (or plugin, to be more specific). What I said was:



Generally, you have a form, and file input is just one of the fields. With your plugin, you've got file input and it's it you're supposed to provide with information which extra fields to pass. And it's it that is responsible for submitting the form.




The part I'm concerned about is "it's it". Is that okay?


UPD By second "it" I mean "plugin" or "file input". Which can be used more or less interchangeably here. And the point is to put emphasis on the file input/plugin part.


Where is this coming from? Let's consider this sentence (taken from a book, according to thread starter):



It was he who told you I'd be here!



So, I'm trying to follow the pattern, which results in: "...it's it that..." Is that wrong?


If I wouldn't be concerned about emphasis, I'd say:



You're supposed to provide plugin with information as to which extra fields to pass. It's also responsible for submitting the form.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...