Sunday, February 9, 2020

grammar - Why can't I use empathic do in present perfect?



He hasn't told me anything.


He doesn't have told me anything.


She has arrived.


She does have arrived.




While with the possessive have I can use the empathic do:



He does have a car.


She does have a cat



I know I might sound dumb but I just asked it out of curiosity :3



Answer



You can't use the emphatic do in the present perfect because it is the auxiliary verb which is used for the Present Simple tense.


In the sentences "He does have a car" and "She does have a cat," have is the main verb, while do is auxiliary used in the affirmative sentences for emphasis.


Have can function as a main verb or as an auxiliary verb too. In present perfect sentences have/has is the auxiliary verb.



We don't use 2 auxiliary verbs in a sentence like that. That's why "he doesn't have told me anything" makes no sense.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...