Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Past Perfect Tense in Reported Speech




Police had deployed large forces along the major junctions of Hosur Road, where major protests took place on Monday.



(Source: Times of India)


In above sentence which I read in new paper past perfect tense has been used. Past perfect tense is used to refer past of past. I am unable to make out two pasts in above sentence.


Does it mean Police were already aware of this protest on Sunday or before protest and already deployed last forces along the major junctions on Sunday or before protest? I mean deployment of forces is first past and taking place of protest is second past.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...