Sunday, February 16, 2020

possessives - The name of the boy vs.The boy's name


Which one is correct or are both correct?



The boy's name is nice.
The name of the boy is nice.



I'm really confused these two sentences? Which one is more suitable?



Answer



"The name of the boy" and "the boy's name" are both grammatical, and in many contexts have the same meaning. But not all. ("The name of boy" is not grammatical).



In most contexts, even formal or literary ones, we would say "The boy's name" rather than "the name of the boy".


So "The boy's name is Michael" is quite normal, and "The name of the boy is Michael" is a bit unusual, but perfectly understandable and grammatical.


But, oddly, your example doesn't quite work: "The boy's name is nice" is fine, but "The name of the boy is nice" sounds very odd to me. I can't quite define why, I'm afraid: I just expect "The name of the boy is" to be followed by the name, and nothing else.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple past, Present perfect Past perfect

Can you tell me which form of the following sentences is the correct one please? Imagine two friends discussing the gym... I was in a good s...